So this is a spin on an earlier posted recipe called Breakfast Tart (as baked in a baking dish – squares) that was a shift from the original recipe – Crustless Mushroom and Onion Tart (round pie dish – pie shaped slices). I wanted to try making a version in our Deneen Pottery Soup Crocks (a.k.a Ice Cream Bowls), and when I did, they really rose and “puffed up” like a soufflé!!! Made for a nice presentation, and guests started asking for the recipe. SO, here is THAT version to try…..if you have one of our soup crocks!!! Even coined it’s own name….
Puffy Breakfast Tart Recipe
- 2 cups of Egg Beaters
- 2 cups of Heavy Cream
- 1.5 cups of Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- .5 cup of Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups of Steamed Broccoli Florets (we use a microwave steamer)
- .5 cups of Sautéed Onions
- .5 cups of Sautéed Mushrooms (Bellas, Lobsters, or Shiitakes)
- Tbsp of Olive Oil
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
Preparing the Crocks
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Steam you Broccoli – recommend microwave in steamer, 4 minutes. Allow to cool. Might chop to desirable size if too large.
- Sauté your onions and shrooms in oil until tender. Allow to cool
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg beaters, heavy cream until mixed. Fold in cheeses until blended. Add cooled broccoli, onions and mushrooms. Salt & pepper to taste.
- On a cookie sheet, line with aluminum foil (if desired for easy cleanup due to spills. Prepare (6) crocks with cooking oil spray and place on cookie sheet.
- Using a ladle, fill each crock with egg mixture to about 1/4″ of top.
- Depending on size of crocks, if you end up with more, load another crock or small baking dish.
- Place loaded tray in center rack of oven. Cooking time varies, so need to watch for egg dish to firm and rise up as shown in pictures, about 30 to 40 minutes depending on crock size. I use a cake tester to insert and remove. When tester comes out clean, remove from over.
- Serve immediately. Some may “deflate a bit” before eating, but certain to be a tasty light and fluffy delight. Enjoy