Our very good friend Judy in Texas made this one morning for us during a stay, and had to have the recipe. It is a delicious addition to any breakfast, or as a standalone. It’s not just about cransberries and oatmeals, as apples and walnuts provide a flavorful crunch to this dish. We like to add a drizzle of maple syrup and some whipped cream to top it off.
BAKED CRANBERRY OATMEAL
6 servings (can doubled recipe for 9 x 13)
– 1 and 1/2 cups old fashion oats (I use steel cut oats)
– 3 cups milk
– 6 Tbsp brown sugar
– 1 and 1/2 Tbsp butter
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 1 and 1/2 cups finely chopped apples
– 3/4 cups dried cranberries
– 3/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts (can use pecans)
– Preheat oven to 350°F
– Coat a 9″ square pan with non-stick spray
– In a large saucepan, bring the milk, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon to a boil
– At the same time, in a large mixing bowl, mix and combine the oats, chopped apple, cranberries, and nuts, pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.
– When the milk mixture begins to boil pour out slowly and evenly over the oatmeal mixture.
– Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the oatmeal is tender.
– I like to use a LARGE ice cream scooper with release blade to plate, and garnish (you remember, the syrup and whip cream). Can add a thin slice of apple to really guzzy it up!